[dns-operations] Question about query load tools (and ICANN's PDT testing)

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Aug 9 20:24:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 03:28:42PM -0400, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> > What’s the latest and greatest by way of authoritative DNS server
> > performance testing?
> > I’ve used ‘dnsperf’ mostly up until now…but it doesn’t seem to support TCP.
(...)
> I have heard of a couple of projects to produce useful TCP performance
> testers, including one to add TCP support to the Nominum tools, but I'm not
> aware of anything fully baked.

Fully baked is not quite the status of dnstcpbench, but it is baked. More
details on
https://blog.powerdns.com/2013/06/25/simple-tcpip-dns-benchmarking-tool/

Manpage now lives on https://doc.powerdns.com/md/manpages/dnstcpbench.1/

This is part of our pdns-tools packages which can be installed through
the repositories at https://repo.powerdns.com/ or you can build from the
tarballs (./configure --enable-tools).

Good luck!

	Bert