[dns-operations] Docker

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Fri Aug 5 21:40:50 UTC 2016

Brett wrote:
> So Docker has finally got my interest enough to start playing with it a bit.
> Wondering how many of you have looked at running DNS servers within
> Docker (or other similar technologies) and what your experiences are.

João Damas and Dave Knight did a presentation a few years ago at OARC
that included Docker:

    https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/19/contribution/19/material/slides/0.pdf

The video is probably somewhere in this playlist:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCAxS3rufJ1fxu7xScMcT_Q9LevdQZBDK

I've never used Docker, but IIUC it does weird things with networking.
Here are a few GitHub issues:

    https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/8357

    https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/11998

    https://github.com/CZ-NIC/knot-resolver/issues/28

So, if you do end up trying it out, make sure to budget time for dealing
with weird networking issues.

--
Robert Edmonds