[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Thu Apr 28 00:17:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-27 8:05 PM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

> On 27 April 2016 at 16:35, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org
> <mailto:drc at virtualized.org>> wrote:
>
>     > As I pointed out earlier in this thread [1] (before moving it to dns-operations) getting the browser developers in on SRV records isn't all that easy.
>     >
>     > The applicability statement in RFC 2782 says that SRV records cannot be used for a protocol unless the relevant protocol spec says they can, and the browser developers lobby hard at the W3C to make sure that's not going to happen with HTTP.   We would need at least an equally strong lobbying effort from the DNS community to counter it, and some pretty solid arguments to dispel the FUD from the browsers about how it would destroy the Internet (or at least their market share).
>
>     I thought the problem with SRV was the multiple round trips?
>

> That's what it comes down to I think, yeah; the risk of another RTT ends
> the world in a flaming conflagration.  Never mind that in many cases the
> target host(s) will be in-zone, and therefore could be handed out in the
> additional data (especially if signed), and that most of the time when
> the target is out of zone they'd be following a CNAME change 5 deep into
> a CDN anyway.   Especially with async queries, I don't believe there's a
> real problem, just fear of one.

I think the number of additional overhead a web browser would have to
contend with in groking SRV would be pretty minimal compared to all the
lookups a typical web page (with a few dozen third-party ad trackers and
analytics beacons embedded in it) throws in already.

- mark

Mark Jeftovic, Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
Company Website: http://easydns.com
Read my blog: http://markable.com
+1-416-535-8672 ext 225