[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Wed Apr 27 20:59:32 UTC 2016

See my response to Vixie's post.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Dave Warren wrote:
> On 2016-04-27 13:16, Fred Morris wrote:
> > But that will never happen because rules exist against that sort of thing.

I was alluding to the registries not allowing it.

> example.com. CNAME cdn.someservice.example.
> example.com. MX 0 mail.example.com.
> mail.example.com. A 192.24.0.5

I may see this wrong, but I see:

  example.com. CNAME cdn.someservice.example.
  cdn.someservice.example. SOA ...
  cdn.someservice.example. NS ...
  cdn.someservice.example. MX 0 mail.cdn.someservice.example.
  mail.cdn.someservice.example A 192.24.0.5

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sees this, and we could all be
wrong.

That might not solve the CDN purveyors' problems, but it would be a
different landscape. So I expect the arguments to be about preserving an
existing broken environment where there is considerable investment, versus
a new environment which is truer to the RFCs but still broken.

But that $CDN could set up a special name for the $CUSTOMER to CNAME to,
e.g.:

  example.com. CNAME example.com.cdn.someservice.example.

Sorry about those people with extremely literate parent domains....

--

Fred