[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Apr 27 20:56:18 UTC 2016

>The semantics of "CNAME" are, "the owner name is actually this other
>name".  Therefore, to have any other data at the CNAME would be
>absurd.

OK.  How about this?

--- one zone ---
$ORIGIN foo.example
foo.example. CNAME bar.example.
www A 1.2.3.4

--- another zone ---
$ORIGIN bar.example
bar.example. SOA ns.provider.example. hostmaster.bar.example. 1776070401 900 604800 7200
             NS ns.provider.example.
             NS ns2.provider.example.
www A 5.6.7.8

That is, the CNAME at the apex is all by itself, pointing at another
apex with the right SOA and NS, no glue needed.  Is that valid?  Why
or why not?

Signed,
Puzzled

PS: Personally, I have no idea what the answer is other than I doubt
that the people who write name servers have tested for this case.