[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Andrew Boling aboling at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:54:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com>
wrote:

> What Cloudflare is doing with their CNAME flattening service is quite
> good, but that document is a terrible marketing representation of what is
> an excellent technical implementation if a kludge we all have to live with.

Precisely. What Cloudflare has been doing the past few years is not a CNAME
as described by any RFC on the standards track. It's a synthetic behavior
reminiscent of "ALIAS", "ANAME", etc.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169056-CNAME-Flattening-RFC-compliant-support-for-CNAME-at-the-root

I don't have a problem with companies providing "fake" record types that
implement record synthesis. I have an immense problem with such behaviors
being associated with an existing record type, creating a false impression
that records can exist in places where they have never been legal. The
confusion it creates is anything but trivial, and I've already had one web
hosting company try to convince me that apex CNAMEs aren't forbidden by the
standards because "their DNS servers support it".

http://serverfault.com/questions/613829/why-cant-a-cname-record-be-used-at-the-apex-aka-root-of-a-domain