[dns-operations] [ Slightly OT ]So, how to run a whois server for a given TLD?

Rick Wesson rick at support-intelligence.com
Wed Apr 20 00:14:10 UTC 2016

FRED leverages CORBA heavily, which provides some complexity to a whois
server. The server(s) I've written are simple and go something like this:

   o Listen on :43
      Accept a line terminated with \r\n
      Lookup the resource from a database and produce a text output
      Close both reader and writer

You can do the above in many languages and will be far easier that learning
to install either of the aforementioned registry services.

All you will need is root on a box that can talk to the general network.

-rick