[dns-operations] [ Slightly OT ] Any good Perl whois modules?

Patrick Mevzek Patrick.Mevzek at afnic.fr
Fri Apr 15 08:06:49 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 15 avril 2016 à 09:23 +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 08:44:09PM +0000,
>  Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.email> wrote
>  a message of 139 lines which said:
>
> > Yeah, I found it mildly ironic that all of the Perl whois projects
> > died off in the 2008-2012 time frame,
>
> False. Last release of Net::DRI is march 2016.

And next versions are specifically planned to enhance whois and add
RDAP.

Although it is a whole different topic if you are interested in parsing
registrars' whois or registries ones.

I too had in my previous life¹ a perl module parsing 100+ of ICANN
registrars whois. This tends to bitrot quite fast, as many of them are
using format changes as a mean of rate limiting of some sort.
But as Rick said at least in the gTLD space this will soon become moot
with standardized format and/or RDAP and/or all registries being thick.

[1] you can still find it here :
https://web.archive.org/web/20091015035750/http://open.gandi.net/download/WhoisExtract/Gandi-WhoisExtract-6.0.tar.gz
but it comes from 2009 without releases since then so it may need some
work to be put in line with today cases.

--
Patrick Mevzek