[dns-operations] g.root-servers.net UDP service

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Apr 15 07:49:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:56:39PM -0700,
 Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote
 a message of 17 lines which said:

> see also:
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/man-accidentally-deletes-his-entire-company-with-one-line-of-bad-code-a6984256.html

I prefer the very interesting and detailed
<https://status.cloud.google.com/incident/compute/16007?post-mortem>
"However, on this occasion our network configuration management
software detected an inconsistency in the newly supplied
configuration. The inconsistency was triggered by a timing quirk in
the IP block removal - the IP block had been removed from one
configuration file, but this change had not yet propagated to a second
configuration file also used in network configuration management. In
attempting to resolve this inconsistency the network management
software is designed to ‘fail safe’ and revert to its current
configuration rather than proceeding with the new
configuration. However, in this instance a previously-unseen software
bug was triggered, and instead of retaining the previous known good
configuration, the management software instead removed all GCE IP
blocks from the new configuration and began to push this new,
incomplete configuration to the network."