[dns-operations] dropping fragmented requests

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 14 03:35:00 UTC 2016

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 4:05 PM, David Dowdle <ddowdle at leopard.net> wrote:
>
> ATM frame size is 53 octets, which is used by DSL as the transport, so theoretically, 80+% of your traffic could be that size.  Seems in Real World(tm) packets usually get reassembled, but..

This clearly is a misunderstanding of the interaction of the various layers of the OSI model, and specific wire encodings.

I’d suggest consulting a DSLAM vendor or network operator for more details of how AAL5 interacts with packet networks.  In my ancient history stashed in my brain, I recall you could even chain cells together destined to the same VPI,VCI but I never deployed that.  I feel dirty for having recalled knowledge of ATM switches and thinking about PNNI.

- Jared