[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Klaus Malorny Klaus.Malorny at knipp.de
Tue Apr 5 08:46:21 UTC 2016

On 30.03.2016 20:56, Jonathan Tuliani wrote:
> Hi DNS Gurus,
>

> RFC1912 recommends the following SOA serial number format: YYYYMMDDnn
>

> However, this does not support more than 100 updates per day (whilst this sounds
> like a lot, the fluidity of the Cloud means there are some applications where
> large numbers of changes are commonplace).
>

> Is there a recommended serial format that supports large numbers of changes?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Jonathan Tuliani

Hi all,

catching up the discussion, I'd like to mention the format we are using:

   YYMMDDhhmm

where YY is the year modulo 40. So every 40 years, a rollover is made, and
unless you update your zones less frequent than (roughly) every 20 years, it
won't break the serial number arithmetic. The format allows updates every
minute, which is, at least in our context, sufficient. And you can clearly read
when the zone was last updated. From 2040 onward, you'll have to add 40 to the
years, but I hope that mankind will still be able to do that at that point in
time despite the downward development in education (I will likely be retired
then...).

Just my two cents.

Klaus