[dns-operations] AXFR support for custom DNS features (Was: Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day)

David C Lawrence tale at akamai.com
Sat Apr 2 18:20:27 UTC 2016

Robert writes:
> For those who want AXFR out from a commercial DNS provider, why do you
> want it if it isn't expected to work?

Though I am not particularly one who is agitating for more providers
to do AXFR, I don't think it is at all an unreasonable desire for
others even if not all features can be communicated through it.

AXFR does not need to only be used in a ongoing primary/secondary
relationship.  It is perfectly reasonable to want to use it to migrate
where a zone is hosted.  You can still use it to get the bulk of
records transferred and then do any necessary special feature
configuration separately after the core data transfer.  Several
providers who don't allow AXFR outbound do accept the format inbound.

Further, just because a feature is available at a provider does not
mean it is in use by a zone.  A zone hosted by a provider that offers
enhanced services might still be perfectly well suited to a
primary/secondary relationship based on only using standardized RR
types.