[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Robert robert at longwinters.org
Fri Apr 1 16:11:36 UTC 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 07:37, John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>>> If your data is in constant flux, shoehorning it into a constant series
>>> of point-in-time snapshots seems pointless and inefficient. This is
>>> probably why Route 53 doesn't bother supporting zone transfers.
>>
>>AFAIK Route 53 doesn't bother supporting zone transfers because it's not
>>supported by the underlying software (djbdns).
>
> djbdns handles AXFR just fine if you configure it correctly, although
> the configuration needs some external scripting to glom all the
> zones into the single database tinydns uses.
>
> But it's optional and rsync works a lot better for most purposes.
>
> R's,
> John

I always wonder about AXFR support in commercial DNS products - how do
people expect this to work?  Aside from how hard should the service
attempt to send notifies, how would you want things that aren't
supported in native BIND represented in the AXFR?  For example, Alias,
LBR, Geo, and WRR (to name just a few) don't have record types in
native BIND - what would that look like in an AXFR?  Would you want
them silently dropped, or mashed into some other record type and if so
how would that work?

Super curious :)
.Robert