[dns-operations] Cname errors?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Sep 29 03:21:18 UTC 2015

In message <CAPnMbcyNGXjP8fuH1eWfQKaz9YafAbVK1ZdMTidzMqKbo+1AeQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Andrew Boling writes:

> Pardon - I'm tired and I misread that as a log message from an
> authoritative server. Your log messages are an indicator of the behavior I
> was mentioning.
>
> A quick glance through the BIND ARM doesn't yield any results on disabling
> the nameserver skipping behavior. Even if you were to instruct your server
> to relax this policy, it wouldn't stop the rest of the internet from
> rejecting those nameservers when the glue expires. The operators need to
> fix the zone.

You can't disable the skipping, only the logging.  You also can't
make NS pointing to CNAME records work in the general case.  Because
of this named refuses to follow CNAME records.

If you are a nameserver operator you can check all zones that you
are serving are not using the old name before remove the A / AAAA
records.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC