[dns-operations] A dns-proxy for DNS over HTTP(s)

"Davey(宋林健)" ljsong at biigroup.cn
Mon Sep 28 03:40:51 UTC 2015

 When our team implement the Golang version , we found it’s necessary to specify some parameter in HTTP header to enhance the interoperability.

In C version you set Content-Type: application/octet-stream and Proxy-DNS-Transport: UDP or TCP. In Golang Version, we set Content-Type: application/X-DNSoverHTTP, X-Proxy-DNS-Transport: UDP or TCP. That’s why two version can not interoperate.  There is other Possible TBD parameter in Http header: Error code? Source IP?

Davey

> 在 2015年9月28日,06:28,Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> 写道:
>

> Paul Vixie wrote:
>> i wrote a gateway in C that can run on any posix systems (both the
>> dns-stub side and the dns-recursive) side. it's on github, here:
>>
>> https://github.com/BII-Lab/DNSoverHTTP
>
> after struggling with Apache for some long while now, i've brought up a
> permanent DNS-over-HTTP service at proxy-dns.tisf.net. the IP addresses
> (V6 and V4) are unlikely to change ("are safe to hard-code".)
>
> i am now running the client side (proxy_dns_gw) on my laptop, and
> tunneling all of my DNS traffic back to the server side (proxy_dns_fcgi)
> even while on travel. it's clear text HTTP. just as likely to be blocked
> by a national firewall, but a lot less likely to be side-jacked by a
> hotel or coffeeshop exit gateway.
>
> if you try this software, with or without also trying my server-side,
> please let me know how it goes. this is the first software i've written
> in years, and it was fun.
>
> note that the Golang implementation of this protocol is currently not
> compatible with this C one and therefore with my server for it. The
> Golang implementation will be fixed by BII-Lab shortly.
>
> --
> Paul Vixie

Davey Song(宋林健)
BII Lab