[dns-operations] NS records in Authority for NOERROR responses

Jan Včelák jan.vcelak at nic.cz
Fri Sep 25 09:16:20 UTC 2015

Hello Shane,

On 23.9.2015 10:48, Shane Kerr wrote:
> Did you have a look at the actual traffic? I'm curious what the impact
> is on packet county and latency (if any).

What I did was to flush the cache of the resolver, issue some testing
queries, and the examine the traffic in Wireshark.

The only interesting story is Unbound, because the resolution of the
referral path is tuneable there. But I really cannot say. It does
opportunistic name server lookup which I don't understand very well. And
it seems to query multiple servers in parallel. So it's hard to quantify.

Jan