[dns-operations] policy to prevent glue for "bogus" IP addresses

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Sep 16 11:14:11 UTC 2015

Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> In your view, is the prohibition via ICANN requirements on registries or
> registrars, of, for example,
>   XYZ.COM NS ...-> 127.0.53.53
> worth the effort it would take, given that it would not prevent
>   ABC.XYZ.COM NS ...-> 127.0.53.53

in my view, yes. there's a huge difference in how to get cooperation in
the two cases, but the first case is extraordinarily more common than
the second case, so two things are obvious:

1. if we can get preventative action in the first case, it'll make a big
difference;

2. policy for the first case will be a useful example when arguing the
second case.

many internet technical folks are willing to let perfection be the enemy
of good enough. not i.

--
Paul Vixie