[dns-operations] Enabling the IPv6-only Internet: the Final TLDs

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Sep 12 16:07:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM,  <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:
>> > Apart from maybe .us, no ccTLD has a contract with ICANN.
>>
>> As with most things related to ICANN, it's more complicated than that: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/cctlds/cctlds-en shows a number of different forms of agreements with different terms.
>
> And some of the forms contain language stating in very explicit terms
> that it is *not* a contract. See for instance
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/norid-icann-letters-17jul06-en.pdf
>
> "It is the intention of both parties that this exchange of lettes will
> not form the basis for any claim for any legal or equitable relief,
> give rise to a binding contract or create reliance on the part of
> either party. Nothing contained in this letter shall give rise to any
> liability, monetary or otherwise, by either one of us to the other."
>
> Publishing this under the heading "ccTLD Agreements" seems like a bit
> of a stretch to me...

Really? Not to me...

The page doesn't claim to be "ccTLD Signed Contracts"... We can both
agree that the sky is blue (or that I'm awesome) -- that doesn't mean
that we've entered into some sort of binding contract, forming the
basis for any claim for any legal or equitable relief - we've just
agreed on something, and that's worth noting.