[dns-operations] comparing EPP with IANA interactions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 22:17:13 UTC 2015

On Sep 6, 2015 5:39 PM, "Jim Reid" <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2015, at 21:45, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yep, my reasoning is that if a similar IPv6 add-change-delete is more
> > difficult than an IPv4 address, for a magnitudes larger audience of
> > domains handled by registrars, I can only imagine that it's not easy
> > on a smaller scale for the TLDs.
>
> You are comparing apples and oranges. The procedure a TLD registry uses
to add IPv6 glue to the root for their TLD is *very* different from the
web-based goop registrars tend to put in front of their EPP channel to a
TLD registry.

> The procedure for adding AAAA glue to the root could hardly be simpler.
It's just a matter of including one line (or lines) containing an IPv6
address in an email template. Plus technical and authentication checks and
confirmations which involve a cast of thousands. All of that happens for
any change to the TLD, not just for IPv6 addresses.

> Besides, none of this detail is germane to the original thread Shane
started. I suggest we all now shut up now about the issues around adding
IPv6 glue.

So the procedure you specify is just as cumbersome than it is for most
people to add an IPv6 Glue RR via most Registrars.  Apples and Oranges are
both colored, seeded, cored, edible, skinned, fruits, not entirely
uncommon. Thanks for confirming my point.  :-)

I tried to respond privately Jim R., but that was rejected.  Postel.....

-Jim P.