[dns-operations] NS records in Authority for NOERROR responses

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Sep 3 18:17:50 UTC 2015

On 03/09/15 19:42, Peter van Dijk wrote:

> On a sidetone, I don’t see an AUTHORITY section in `dig +norec mx
> www.isc.org @ord.sns-pb.isc.org` either, suggesting BIND may also have
> stopped doing it on nodata and nxdomain?

Hi Peter,

Perhpas you were getting responses from a BIND server that has/had
"minimal-responses" set to "yes". Enabling this option in BIND makes it
emit record in the authority section only for responses that need it,
like delegations and negative responses.

I do get records in the authority section for that query, so either ISC
has reconfigured something, or we're talking to different servers.

Regards,
Anand