[dns-operations] Advance notice - H-root address change on December 1, 2015

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 12:38:36 UTC 2015

On Aug 31 2015, Kash, Howard M CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) wrote:

[...snip ...]
>We encourage operators of DNS infrastructure to update any references to the
>old IP addresses and replace them with the new addresses. In particular,
>many DNS resolvers have a DNS root "hints" file. This should be updated with
>the new IP addresses.

The disadvantage of updating the hints file in advance is that BIND will
moan gently that the hints file is out of step with the results of its
priming "NS ." query (which, of course, it will subsequently use in
preference anyway).

I would leave any action until 1 December, myself. Not that the heads-up
advance notice isn't useful.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk