[dns-operations] Always replying to UDP requests with TC=1, good practice or not

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Mon Oct 19 08:22:39 UTC 2015

Moin!

On 19 Oct 2015, at 9:06, Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Monday, October 19, 2015 08:28:28 Ralf Weber wrote:
>> In general answering TC=1 for every query seems like a bad idea as it
>> triples the RTT for every query, as other said.
>
> noone has argued in favour of that. noone i know has done it in
> production.
Stephane original mail stated that he has seen this behaviour on IPv4
with the
name servers for kura.io and Berts email stated that he knows an
resolver
operator that does that. So while it may not be someone you know it
looks
like it is done and IMHO it is a bad idea.

> and the patent i'm thinking of doesn't work that way.
I haven't talked about that at all and honestly whenever someone talks
about
patents I don't follow the thread any longer as IANAL and I don't want
spoil my day thinking about it.

So long
-Ralf