[dns-operations] On-board resolvers (was Re: NANOG threat on government-ordered DNS poisoning and DNSSEC.)

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Nov 13 14:22:30 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-13 4:55 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> <http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-November/082310.html>
>

>From time to time I wonder why there has not been an impetus toward
on-board DNS resolvers: on the device, on the desktop, on the computer,
everything running it's own resolver. Especially on devices that move
around a lot (like laptops).

These could be made to be pretty lightweight. Smaller footprint than,
say, Angry Birds.

Then you don't need to worry about the ISP (or the hotel's crappy
NXDOMAIN redirection, MX-intercepting) resolvers, you run your own
on-board and if the ISP/crappy hotel etc is trying to block that you
just tunnel it (or use that nifty dns-over-http gateway which was
discussed here recently).

I have to confess I've been putting some thought into it again lately.

- mark

--
Mark Jeftovic, Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
Company Website: http://easydns.com