[dns-operations] rndc problems

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Wed May 27 08:47:06 UTC 2015

Hi Kevin

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 04:13:55PM +0800, Kevin C. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you tell me why this rndc run failed?
> # rndc reload
> rndc: connection to remote host closed
> This may indicate that
> * the remote server is using an older version of the command protocol,
> * this host is not authorized to connect,
> * the clocks are not synchronized, or
> * the key is invalid.

This is a BIND specific question, which is better discussed on the
bind-users@ list:

As the error says, it could be any of the above reasons. Look in your
named log.

> rndc:
> Version: 9.7.3
>
> named:
> BIND 9.7.3

This is a very old version of BIND that is unsupported and likely has
several security vulnerabilities. Please upgrade to one of the current
versions in the 9.10 or 9.9 branches.

		Mukund