[dns-operations] com. Glue

龚道彪 dbgong at biigroup.cn
Wed May 20 00:40:10 UTC 2015

hi Mark,

I have the same problem with bind-9.10.2, but when i try nsd 4 and knot 1.6 as nameserver, both of them return all glue.

the zone file is as following:
example.net. in ns ns1.example.net.
example.net. in ns ns1.example.org
ns1 in aaaa 2404::5
ns1.example.org. in aaaa 2405::6

Regards,
Kevin Gong

From: "Mark Andrews"<marka at isc.org>
Date: Wed, May 20, 2015 05:58 AM
To: "Jim Popovitch"<jimpop at gmail.com>;
Cc: "dns-operations"<dns-operations at dns-oarc.net>;
Subject: Re: [dns-operations] com. Glue

In message <CAGfsgR3kQ+NbGKbLYp2eQHvrPB-V=ZPxbo5grUZ3+LxDdVOzzQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Jim Popovitch writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm stuck in the middle with $registrar saying glue exists, and
> intodns, et.al., saying no glue exists.   I would appreciate any
> insight into why there is no glue appearing for speedyiguana.com (a
> mailman dev/test system that i use)

You mean why there are no additional records added for the nameservers
and that is because the servers for .com and .org are disjoint so
answers for .com names can't return records that are in the .org
zone.

The com servers do not load the address records for dns1.domainmail.org
et al. because they are not within or below any of the zones served
on those servers.  Even if those records were included in the zone
the nameservers will not make them visible.

$registrar is actually saying that a host record exists.  Depending
upon the relationships of the names involved this can result in
glue records being added to the zone.

To actually look up speedyiguana.com a recursive nameserver has to
go and ask the org servers for dns1.domainmail.org which will get
glue as the servers are a.geoip-dns.org which are also the servers
for geoip-dns.org itself.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC