[dns-operations] A dns-proxy for DNS over HTTP(s)

Davey Song (宋林健) ljsong at biigroup.cn
Sat May 16 05:19:08 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

There is an interesting open source project for DNS over HTTP(s):
https://github.com/BII-Lab/DNSoverHTTP .

In this project we intend to provide an easy way to deploy and use the
feature of HTTP(s) for DNS transactions which provides capability for
privacy consideration, transparence to the middle box, persistent TCP
connection etc. it is worth to mention that the protocol used by the
dns_proxy service is alarmingly simple. There's no JSON or XML encoding
provide; the DNS query and response are sent as raw binary via the "libcurl"
library on the client side and the "libfcgi" library on the server side.

The current software is conceived and drafted by Paul Vixie during WIDE CAMP
2015-03. Engineers from BII lab help for testing and maintenance. Now It
works for both IPv4/IPv6, UDP/TCP, EDNS0. We encourage more people to join
us by forking, submitting optimized changes and using it. Now There is
already serval servers running for testing:

http://[2001:559:8000:cd::5]

http://24.104.150.209

http://fcgi.dnsv6lab.net (IPv6-only)

For example when you install the client:

proxy_dns_gw -s "http://fcgi.dnsv6lab.net" -l ::,53  OR  proxy_dns_gw -s "
<http://24.104.150.209> http://24.104.150.209" -l 127.0.0.1,53

Please feel free to try and report any error or suggestions to us (Paul,
Davey or just propose in this ML)

Cheers,

Davey

Davey Song 宋林健