[dns-operations] Writeup of Spring Workshop

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue May 12 04:27:38 UTC 2015

Doug Barton wrote:
> On 5/11/15 4:42 PM, Ralf Weber wrote:
>> So as said we agree that the Community should put more effort in
>> getting the Linux people to do better UDP stack instead of switching
>> DNS to TCP, which other people have been suggesting.
>
> Ralf,
>
> With respect, we all have to stop talking about DNS being TCP XOR UDP.
> I'm not a proponent of switching DNS exclusively to TCP, but both
> stacks play a role in performance; and TCP's role will only get bigger
> as responses sizes grow due to IPv6, DNSSEC, etc.
>
> Doug

doug, i still disagree. i know from friends that the DPRIV WG is working
on a new port number, that won't be subject to TCP/53's problems, and i
wish them well. meanwhile UDP/53 can work (and mostly does) whereas
TCP/53 can be trivially DoS'd, and must never be depended upon. we can
revisit that topic in detail if you wish. --paul

--
Paul Vixie