[dns-operations] [Security] Glue or not glue?

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Thu May 7 13:54:13 UTC 2015

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> A new edition of the DNS security guide by ANSSI (French cybersecurity
>> agency) recommends to prefer delegations with glue because glueless
>> delegations "may carry additional risks since they create a
>> dependency". ...

I tend to go with Patrik:

> Without reading the report, and speaking personally, I prefer a mix of delegations with glue and without to not have dependency of one path in the domain name space to work for resolution to work. Only glue create for me a single point of failure...

as I think having multi-domain multi-tld redundancy among ns delegations
is wise.

Paul when you say:

> if we're voting, i agree with this recommendation. (we should have named the root name servers X.ROOT-SERVERS without a delegation for .ROOT-SERVERS, so as to keep them in-zone, and we're still paying for that mistake.)

I can see your point on something like root-servers.net or .root-servers
(tangentially also acknowledge whatever gets decided in these types of
situations, you are stuck with those decisions for a long time, in some
cases forever).

But are you saying this would be your preferred method for wider use?
I.e. when Joe 6-pack regs joesixpack.six and he's going to just host a
website and email he should have in bailiwick nameservers (even if those
nameservers are being operated by his registrar/web host/dns provider?)

In other words, are you saying every domain registered should have
"vanity" nameservers?

- mark

--
Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.