[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Fri Mar 27 21:02:33 UTC 2015

Even if we get faster updates to the resolvers, I see two other issues:
- the clients will still hold DNS entries in their cache.
- registrars set a ttl of 1 or 2 days on the delegation NS and glue
records, and don't give users any way to change that.

I have to wonder if the simplest and most effective solution is to
recommend that the resolvers set:

max-ncache-ttl number;
max-cache-ttl number;
(for some number like say an hour or less?)

With all the pre-fetching and bogus queries, I wonder if the increase in
traffic would really be significant or not.  Is it possible to estimate or
test?

This can be done today on resolvers, with no requirements for anything new,
and no change to auth servers or clients (at least clients that respect the
ttl, others cannot be helped no matter what we do on the DNS servers).

--
Bob Harold