[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Mar 27 16:48:53 UTC 2015

Joe Abley and myself wrote some Internet Drafts on this.

Requirements for a Mechanism for Remote-Triggered DNS Cache Flushes -
draft-jabley-dnsop-flush-reqs-00
and
A Mechanism for Remote-Triggered DNS Cache Flushes (DNS FLUSH) -
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jabley-dnsop-dns-flush-00

Some slides: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-dnsop-5.pdf

I eventually got bored and have started writing an out of band thing.
It is basically a cooperative model .

Basically a django app where a domain operator / owner will create an
account and register their domains. The system will confirm domain
ownership (kinda like a CA does (send emails, publish a TXT record,
etc)).
When something goes wrong, the domain operator logs in and requests a
cache flush.
The system then publishes (using pubsubhubbub) a signed cache flush request.

Resolvers will run a (very) small daemon that listens for pubsub
messages, validates them and then runs e.g rndc flush $domain.

Domain owners have an incentive to do this to recover from Oopses.
Resolver operators have less of an incentive, but I think many will
still be willing to do this -- it protects their users, removes
operational annoyance, etc. The message format, etc will all be
published, so resolver operators can either just install the (to be
provided) daemon, or roll their own.

I cannot remember Geoff's numbers, but we need <100 of hte largest
resolvers to get >85% of users.