[dns-operations] [DNSOP] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Tue Mar 17 17:46:57 UTC 2015

(Choosing DNS-operations.)

On 3/13/15, 18:21, "Darcy Kevin (FCA)" <kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com> wrote:

>IANAL, but I think this might have legal ramifications. If they are
>advertising/selling "DNS" services and what they are delivering is not
>"DNS", then Truth in Advertising and/or Bait-and-Switch statutes,
>regulations and/or treaty provisions may apply. ...

Having worked in the same market - that point won't win any arguments.
Whether you are substantively right or not, it won't win any arguments.

Why?  There is a class of customers that don't take the time to know what
"compliant DNS" is.  There is a class of customers with engineering staffs
that prefer the vendor be non-standard for their own sake.  There is a
class of customers that don't care as much about standards but more about
whether they can switch to someone else.

I've never seen a case of a customer that claimed the service was
deficient because it was counter to a standard or RFC.  I have seen the
reverse, a customer getting mad because a service was brought in line with
specifications, I've had to roll back to non-standard behavior.  This may
be an unfair response because sometimes non-standard behavior is
considered a bug and remedied.