[dns-operations] [DNSOP] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Mar 16 15:05:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:53:17PM +0900, Paul Vixie wrote:
> that is not the use case for this. the updated document makes clear that
> the iteration complexity in split-authority systems having a lightweight
> front end, is the situation where ANY is painful.

Sorry? We solve implementation hardship by standards action now?

   "Some modern Authoritative servers, such as those used by CDN's, do
   not have DNS zones.  For those servers answering ANY query truthfully
   is hard work.  Thus ignoring ANY queries simplifies the
   implementation."

Is this really all there is to the story? Seriously?

I have lots of respect for Olafur, but this does seem to turn a local
challenge into a global standards action..

	Bert