[dns-operations] [DNSOP] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 12 23:09:59 UTC 2015

In message <3D558422-D5DA-4434-BDED-E752BA353358 at flame.org>, Michael Graff writes:
> What problem are we specifically trying to solve here again?

A non-problem for most of us.

> Michael

If one really wants to reduce the number of packets required with
SMTP processibg just write a RFC that says A and AAAA records should
be returned in the additional section if no MX records exist at the
qname.  This is currently permitted so vendors could do this today.

Alternatively change SMTP processing to not fallback to A / AAAA
on no MX.  Set a date several years out my which all sites that
accept email need to publish a MX record.  This really should have
been done years ago.  Instead we have null-MX to signal that there
isn't a SMTP server.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC