[dns-operations] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Mar 9 16:03:23 UTC 2015

Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Even ignoring if qmail is “broken”.  (I would rather classify it as, could do
> better)

Yes.

> dnsop-any-notimp violates the principle of least surprise in technology by
> returning NOTIMP where Paul Vixie suggested NOERROR/ANCOUNT=0 would be more
> appropriate with the existing definitions.

This would have the amusing effect of disabling qmail's address
canonicalization without patching qmail.

Tony.
Rockall, Malin: Cyclonic in north Rockall at first, otherwise westerly or
southwesterly severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, decreasing 5 or 6. High or
very high, becoming very rough. Squally showers. Good, occasionally poor.