[dns-operations] Mozilla Firefox and ANY queries

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Mar 6 20:03:55 UTC 2015

* Stephane Bortzmeyer:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:02:57AM -0500,
>  Sadiq Saif <lists at sadiqs.com> wrote
>  a message of 30 lines which said:
>
>> Checking local resolver logs and am seeing a large amount of ANY queries
>> originating from Firefox, is anybody else seeing such behavior?
>
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/deprecating-dns-any-meta-query-type/
>
> Today, we are announcing that we are deprecating the DNS ANY
> meta-query. In a few weeks we'll be responding to those queries with
> rcode 4 / Not Implemented.
>
> [...]

Some resolvers will ask all authoritative servers for the domain when
they receive a NOTIMP response.  Others will not cache the resulting
SERVFAIL response.

So unless this is intended as some way to punish resolver operators
who have clients sending ANY queries, this is probably not such a good
idea.