[dns-operations] CloudFlare policy on ANY records changing

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 6 19:10:47 UTC 2015

Jared Mauch wrote:
>> > On Mar 6, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud at ogud.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > By announcing this we are hoping that anyone running un-patched qmail will fix it.
>
> I’m guessing there will be no change.

right. most of us blocked IDENT (without ICMP, to force the far end into
its longest possible state-holding timeout period) in order to
communicate the offensive futility of a protocol that asked an initiator
to help in any way to verify the identity behind some other connection
emanating from that same initiator, and the result was not widespread
"IDENT sucks, i'm turning it off", but rather, further ignorance and
more bliss.

QMAIL users are already accustomed to frequent mystery failures. no
matter how many authority servers turn off ANY queries, there will be no
patching of QMAIL and no migration of QMAIL operators to other platforms.

the interesting part of this game will be when mozilla firefox's users
start switching back to Chrome again because the DNS community's immune
response to the recent QTYPE=ANY change hits that browser right between
the eyes. perhaps they'll switch MPR (mozilla portable runtime) to the
newer "http://getdnsapi.net/" tech in order to stem their losses? anyway
i'm going to stock up on popcorn so as to enjoy watching this show.

--
Paul Vixie