[dns-operations] Bad IP in glue records (Godaddy)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Mar 6 13:51:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:01:22PM +0100, Grzegorz Dabrowski wrote:

> Welcome everyone. I have a problem with bullet prof Godaddy support which is
> unable to figure out where the problem is... Of course they blame me but
> maybe some one be so kind and look into this because it's all their fault.

Well, I am not really interested in whose fault it is.  But…

>     Few of our clients using Godaddy. To setup their domains in our product
> they have to set up their DNS server to our DNS server which is:
> a.ns.domadd.getresponse.com
> b.ns.domadd.getresponse.com
>
>    The check why it's not working I setup one of our domain:
> PRACA-PROGRAMISTA-PHP-MYSQL-PERL-JAVA.COM. (I should use shorter but it will
> do). I've setup nameserver for that doamin to:
> a.ns.domadd.getresponse.com (207.8.198.88)
> b.ns.domadd.getresponse.com (89.206.36.202)
> (Address for this servers has not been change since almost 1 year)

If I look at the name servers for getresponse.com in whois in .com, I see this:

Name Server: ERIN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: IAN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

And sure enough, that's what's in the nameservers for .com too.

The problem is that you have host objects in the .com registry:

Server Name: A.NS.DOMADD.GETRESPONSE.COM
IP Address: 207.8.198.52
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://networksolutions.com

I suspect you need to get netsol to remove those records.  Anyway,
that's why there are records in the .com zone for those two names.
(There shouldn't be glue at all, because they're not in-baliwick, but
Verisign can't know that in advance so they just push all the in-zone
IP records that are registered with host objects out to the zone.  I
don't really know any other way to do this at the scale of the .com
zone.)  Why network solutions didn't remove those host objects when
they updated the nameservers for getresponse.com is something you'll
need to ask them.

> 1) Why they put bad IP address in .COM zone (bad IP for GLUE records)
> Before you tell me change this address unfortunately there is no way to
> change this in godaddy panel (If I want to set GLUE records they obviously
> must be in domain: PRACA-PROGRAMISTA-PHP-MYSQL-PERL-JAVA.COM which is not a
> case here.

The problem isn't in that domain, it's with getresponse.com and the
host objects underneath that.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com