[dns-operations] sibling glue

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jun 25 11:14:22 UTC 2015

Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

Thanks for your very helpful reply...

> > The requirements I am stating below are from the DNS point of view rather
> > than from the registry point of view.
>
> I think that's not going to help you get a clear answer, but let's give it a
> try. People who actually know how registries work can correct all the horrible
> mistakes I'm about to type. It has been a while. The EPP spec might be worth
> reading.

EPP leaves a lot of the practical consistency constraints unspecified, as
far as I can tell :-/

> Whether or not a glue record is actually included in the zone depends on the
> algorithm by which the zone is produced from the registry. The most simple
> algorithm is to include a delegation for every domain object and glue records
> for every host object, but other algorithms that distinguish between glue that
> is definitively required and glue that might not be required are surely
> possible.

Presumably (amongst other things) there has to be logic that avoids
promoting glue to authoritative data.

e.g. client A creates a host object www.undelegated.example and the
registry doesn't know at that point whether or not A is about to create
the expected domain object.

e.g. the domain deadbeat.example has a number of subordinate host objects
used by other domains; what happens to those host objects when
deadbeat.example is cancelled?

> I don't think that condition is part of the EPP data model; the criteria that
> matters here is that the host object's name is subordinate to the name of the
> zone produced from the registry, which means that one or more address records
> for the host are required.

That makes sense.

Tony.
Trafalgar: In southeast, northerly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 later, but becoming
cyclonic 5 to 7 later in far southeast. In northwest, variable 4. In
southeast, slight or moderate. in northwest, moderate. In southeast, fair. In
northwest, mainly fair. In southeast, good. In northwest, mainly good.