[dns-operations] about anti-ddos DNS hostings

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Thu Jun 11 14:29:43 UTC 2015

On 6/11/15, 9:45 AM, "Kumar Ashutosh" <Kumar.Ashutosh at microsoft.com> wrote:

>@Kevin
>See if this interests you
>http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/dns/

Or http://aws.amazon.com/route53/

I don't work for amazon, but have used route53 as a cheaper alternative to
Akamai.

Note neither of these are marketed as anti-DDoS as directly as services
like Akamai, but the way in which the services are deployed provides
better "protection" than your average hoster or individual.

Yes and no.  Those with existing large estates/geo footprint supported by
other means than just selling DNS services are in a unique position to try.

>http://labs.apnic.net/?p=624
>
>"Defending your DNS is now a game that you only win if you can afford to
>win.

Generally agreed, and not just DNS...DDoS in general.  This view is
certainly older than May 2015, but becomes more true each day.