[dns-operations] [Security] Glue or not glue?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Jun 10 23:21:08 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-10 13:06, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>> On Jun 10, 2015, at 16:02 , Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:
>> It's happened to us (more than once) and it happened
>> to DNSimple not too long ago. In those cases we've had problems getting
>> the registrar to yank the delegation. In cases like that the registry
>> often won't even talk to us.
>>
>> It should be a no brainer to have a registrar or registry do this, but
>> it isn’t.
> Indeed.  Have you tried the abuse approach at the registry when the registrar won’t deal with you?  What sort of response did you get (if any at all)?  I’m curious what registries’ abuse departments would say about that when, technically, they’re contractually bound to publish whatever a registrar gives them.

I think it would be reasonable for the registry to insist the registrar
act, but there may not be power to force it within the current contract,
or motivation to make it happen in a future contract. I'd hate to see a
situation where ICANN and their ilk become arbitrator of what is
permissible on the internet, and if they become active in an abuse
handling role, that could be problematic.

In today's system, one might also file a complaint against the validity
of the information in the WHOIS, since this seems to have higher odds of
getting a registrar to disable a domain than an actual abuse complaint.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/