[dns-operations] [Security] Glue or not glue?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Jun 10 20:06:16 UTC 2015

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 16:02 , Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:
>
>> In the (very rare) case of my name servers receiving unwanted traffic in this way, I’ve treated it as an abuse issue.  Report to abuse@ the organization that’s doing the delegation that they’re generating undated traffic.  So far that’s worked, but I haven’t yet had to email a gTLD registry.
>
> It's not that rare.

Didn’t say it was.. just that it hasn’t happened on my name servers much.

> It's happened to us (more than once) and it happened
> to DNSimple not too long ago. In those cases we've had problems getting
> the registrar to yank the delegation. In cases like that the registry
> often won't even talk to us.
>
> It should be a no brainer to have a registrar or registry do this, but
> it isn’t.

Indeed.  Have you tried the abuse approach at the registry when the registrar won’t deal with you?  What sort of response did you get (if any at all)?  I’m curious what registries’ abuse departments would say about that when, technically, they’re contractually bound to publish whatever a registrar gives them.