[dns-operations] DNSSEC issue - why?

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Jun 9 13:10:53 UTC 2015

On 9 June 2015 at 14:53, Edward Lewis <edward.lewis at icann.org> wrote:

> On 6/9/15, 7:42, "Mark Andrews" <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> ents that can be referenced
> separately (like in RFP's and contracts).  I found that trying to make
> code prefer newer technologies over old by fiat seems to backfire (like
> the way DNS used to prefer v6 over v4 and now seems to have reversed,
> looking at some observed behavoral studies).

interesting this crops up, and in a thread with Mark. I am told he recently
confirmed that there is no systematic deliberate biassing towards V4 in the
code: its just shorter RTT selection.

I wonder if there is a non-intentional bias against V6 eg the order the
calls are made, or a lazy evaluated IF statement logic, because we see
overwhelmingly more V4 than V6 on dual-stack NS with no cached state.

-G