[dns-operations] DNS issues with .MIL

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Jun 7 21:06:35 UTC 2015

On 8 Jun 2015, at 3:35, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> The zone has only two name servers, with suspiciously close IP
> addresses. How many times will we have to repeat that two name servers
> in the same rack are not good practice?

The irony is that on this very list a few weeks ago, certain parties who
ought to've known better were arguing that netblock diversity as a
safeguard against ACL fat-fingering, HVAC issues, equipment casualties,
and other shared failure modes wasn't necessary, as any issues would be
detected and resolved (pardon the pun) quickly, with minimal impact.

Hopefully, this lesson will not be lost on them.