[dns-operations] bug in Apache handling of real FQDNs

Eli Heady eli.heady at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 19:46:08 UTC 2015

Since learning what 'fully qualified' really means, I've assumed this falls
into an area of arcane trivia that many, if not most of the applications
built atop the DNS probably don't implement correctly. Nearly every time
this topic comes up at work it's due to a junior admin publishing
something.tld.something.tld in our DNS, and I mostly get blank stares when
I talk about the trailing dot and implied root in what's commonly thought
to be FQDN's.

At the same time, $WORK website fails to load when requested with the
trailing dot (also running Apache). Maybe time to address that.

A couple other funny examples:

Apache: https://www.cio.gov./
Nginx (cloudflare): https://www.ietf.org./

(the cloudflare example just be them caching the response from IETF's
apache backend servers - https://ietf.org./ yeilds a 400 response from
Apache)

Eli