[dns-operations] AWS footnote: DNS firewall rules are UDP only

Adrian Beaudin Adrian.Beaudin at nominum.com
Thu Jan 29 00:00:52 UTC 2015

I use AWS to run instances of our DNS Engines so I have to configure both DNS (UDP 53) and tcp port 53 to allow inbound access to the engine instances but it's only because I'm running DNS servers in AWS. For anything use, DNS flows properly as the traffic is outbound in those instances.

I suppose I don't find having to configure TCP and UDP as problematic since I've automated instance creation and teardown with the AWS EC2 apis and ansible so it's one script to instantiate, one script to tear down and it includes the security group creation, configuration and subsequent deletions.

-a

Adrian Beaudin
Principal Architect, Special Projects
Nominum, Inc.