[dns-operations] What are the "DNS Traffic tester" that you are using?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 8 08:19:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 03:44:47PM +0900, Techs_Maru wrote:
> Please tell me,
> What are the "DNS Traffic tester(Traffic Generator)"  that you are using?

Over at PowerDNS, we are big fans of our tool 'dnsreplay'. With this, you
can take a PCAP record of actual DNS traffic, and replay it against another
server.

This then produces a running tally of how your new nameserver is doing
compared to the old one.

The output looks like this:

         Questions - Pend. - Drop = Answers = (On time + Late) = (Err + Ok)
Orig     80245       0       0      80416      0         51       0     0
Refer.   80245       0       0      45660      0         28526    0     0
0 queries that could still come in on time, 34526 outstanding
we late: 28526, orig late: 51, 80245 questions sent, 80416 original answers, 23675 perfect, 21039 mostly correct, 38 we better, 9 orig better (0 diff)
we never: 0, orig never: 0
original questions from IP addresses for which recursion was not available: 0
Unmatched from us: 91, unmatched from original: 256 ( - decoding err: 255)
DNS decoding errors from us: 0, from original: 1, exact duplicates from client: 208

Within 1 msec: 34.25% (34.25%)
Within 2 msec: 43.29% (9.04%)
Within 3 msec: 48.36% (5.07%)
Within 4 msec: 53.94% (5.57%)
Within 5 msec: 57.94% (4.00%)
Within 10 msec: 74.24% (16.30%)
Within 20 msec: 84.12% (9.88%)
Within 30 msec: 94.31% (10.19%)
Within 40 msec: 96.19% (1.88%)
Within 50 msec: 96.48% (0.29%)
Within 100 msec: 97.24% (0.75%)
Within 200 msec: 98.36% (1.12%)
Within 500 msec: 98.86% (0.50%)
Within 1000 msec: 99.58% (0.72%)
Beyond 2048 msec: 100.00% (0.42%)

This tool carefully replays even very broken DNS packets, which makes it
possible to do a good 'oranges to oranges' comparison. To stack the deck
either way, use --speedup=10 or --speedup=0.1

dnsreplay and our other analysis tools are described on
https://doc.powerdns.com/md/tools/analysis/

	Bert

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/