[dns-operations] Evaluating resolver performance

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Tue Feb 3 19:13:54 UTC 2015

Moin!

> On 03 Feb 2015, at 08:54, Marek Vavruša <marek.vavrusa at nic.cz> wrote:
>
> does anyone have any experiences with benchmarking recursors?
> From what I understand, the DNS Rex is pretty much dead and resperf is
> the only thing widely used.
Shameless plug (I work for Nominum). dnsperf/resperf are still used a lot.
You can download the package at: http://nominum.com/measurement-tools/

> What I don't like is that it leaks messages to Internet instead of
> faking DNS hierarchy on a local interface, thus making the results
> unreliable. Is there anything else I'm missing?
If a resolver test leaks traffic to the Internet is dependant on how you
set your test up. While using live traffic may be ok for an DNS operator
to evaluate live performance, it's hard to reproduce that and is highly
dependant on the traffic the operator sees.

So the way you do repeatable test is to setup authoritative servers for
the root, TLDs and SLDs in the lab, configure the resolver to use these
and generate the appropriate dnsperf query files for the things you want
to test.

So long
-Ralf
---