[dns-operations] Configurable TC=1?

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Dec 24 03:48:28 UTC 2015

On 24 Dec 2015, at 10:28, Paul Vixie wrote:

> we should tell IDC's they can do whatever they need to do in-house,
> but when it's time for a packet to leave the house, it
> should have an IDC-assigned source IP address, or some other address
> from a very small list
> of exceptions.

But telling people isn't working.

The power of the default continues to hold sway.  My contention is that
source-address validation can potentially become a default setting in
two topological scenarios without breaking the world:

1.  Wireline broadband access layer.

2.	IDC access layer (with VMotion-like scenarios being the most
significant caveat).

> actually, it's a gigantic problem.

I don't have any statistics, but my (totally subjective) gut feeling is
that CPE NATs passing along out-of-scope packets unmodified isn't that
common.  Is it your gut feeling that it is in fact a fairly commonplace
problem, and/or do you know if anyone has any data on the popularity of
CPE NATs which exhibit this particular flavor of brokenness?
Correction is very welcome, if indeed this is an issue with a relatively
high degree of prevalence.

Of course, source-address validation by default in the wireline
broadband access layer would mask this issue, irrespective of its
prevalence.  But we need a better feel for the scope of the CPE NAT
scope problem, just the same, because we must press this issue on
multiple fronts.

What I would really like to see is a conclave involving the major
operating system vendors - Microsoft, Apple, Google, the appropriate
Linux distros, FreeBSD - with the aim of convincing them that it's in
their interest to incorporate Spoofer Project-type functionality
(<http://spoofer.caida.org/>) into the operating systems they produce,
with the resultant data published and analyzed on a pubicly-accessible
portal, said data also made available for all and sundry to analyze for
themselves, should they wish to do so.