[dns-operations] Configurable TC=1?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Sun Dec 20 22:14:10 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-20 10:16, Paul Vixie wrote:

> this won't help all victims of dns amplification attacks, since many
> of the congestion points are measured in PPS not BPS. they need
> attenuation, not just the absence of amplification. attenuation in
> both PPS and BBS.

If all you care about (as an attacker) is causing high PPS, an attacker
doesn't need to use DNS servers in particular, virtually any host that
responds on TCP or UDP or ICMP will reply back with a single packet
(even if it's just a refusal) will be sufficient for a reflection style
PPS attack.

DNS is largely used because of amplification, which is a combined PPS
and BPS attack.

Returning TC=1 has the unique advantage of allowing a DNS server to stop
responding to the packets at all for a little while until/unless you see
a TCP DNS query from the same host (after which point you might start
answering UDP again, since you at least know the queries are from a DNS
server and not a reflection attack)

>  that's what DNS RRL is designed to do. i've yet to hear a simpler
> solution.

I agree that DNS RRL helps in the case of amplification. However, as I
understand it, RRL only steps in for duplicate queries and in a pure PPS
attack, an attacker can simply ask tons of different queries and
partially side-step RRL. As attackers develop future techniques in the
future, I expect both RRL and TC=1 will be useful in reducing the impact
on victims.

Also potentially useful (although it would require wide deployment)
would be if a victim could send out some sort of "I'm being attacked,
stop responding to UDP queries" squelch, and after receiving such a
packet, a DNS server would only respond with TC=1 responses, and only a
small percentage of them (to ensure that this doesn't create a DoS
mechanism), with the victim knowing to use TCP. Since DNS servers would
still send periodic TC=1 queries, this would reduce the impact if an
attacker sent out spoofed squelch packets since the resolver would
quickly receive the TC=1 packets. Sending the same squelch instruction
via TCP could allow a victim to indicate an end-of-attack, telling other
DNS servers "don't force me to use TC=1 anymore"

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/