[dns-operations] Storm on the DNS

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Dec 16 03:51:48 UTC 2015

TCP adds significant overhead for normal operation with queries that fit
within a single packet, and at least to me, the current UDP-first,
TCP-fallback-when-needed model seems like it could scale out to help
address reflection attacks by forcing TCP only when really needed.

Smarter minds than mine might comment, but to me, if going pure-TCP
would help, setting TC=1 will tend to push existing traffic over to TCP
now, and as I understand it, these packets are small enough to avoid
reflection attacks.

The biggest problem I see with going TCP is that you can simply drop a
majority of UDP packets in a DDoS situation and still have a somewhat
functional server if clients make 3-4 retries, whereas with a 3-way
handshake and other ACKs required to even get the question, packet loss
makes TCP services more susceptible to DoS attacks. There might be ways
to overcome this with SYN cookies and TCP connections that stay
connected, I genuinely don't know, but all of this adds a lot of
overhead over the UDP model.

Plus, if we're going to replace something as fundamental as DNS in any
major way, BCP38 will cause a lot less pain overall and might well kick
the replace-DNS can far enough down the road while mostly solving the
current DDoS capabilities.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/